I have taught the only course of IV therapy with nutrients available from a Medical Doctor in the world since 1992, every spring for the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM), and since 2007, an IV Workshop in the spring and/or fall for the American College for the Advancement of Medicine (ACAM). In the past few years, finally other IV courses have begun in the USA, most notable for naturopaths. I've also taught the course in the U.K and Japan. IV therapy with nutrients is an extremely valuable treatment, primarily because we are able to administer very large doses of nutrients compared to doses that can be absorbed with oral treatment. Vitamins, minerals, amino acids and certain other nutrients can have an incredibly potent drug-like effect when given directly IV, but without the side effects one often sees with drugs.
IV therapy with nutrients may be given only a few times, as needed, of even weekly over a period of time. The benefits depend on individual patients and the problem being treated. Here is a list of problems we treat with various IV protocols I have developed over 25 years, listed in order of the most commonly used and best effect in our office. This should not be considered to be a complete list of indications, but will give you an idea of what IV therapy with nutrients can benefit.
1. Patients who feel generally "unwell" for any number of reasons - patients we commonly see in our office, as an initial "trial" of therapy, usually starting with the Meyer protocol
2. Asthma, acute and chronic
3. Chemical Toxicity secondary to any acute or chronic exposure to chemicals, including patients with severe environmental illness, chemical sensitivity, acute or post exposure to chemicals (the glutathione protocol may help any time after)
4. Peripheral vascular or cerebrovascular insufficiency with or without gangrene or recurrent TIA's - may be used in conjunction with chelation therapy
5. Adjunctive treatment for cancer (with IV Vitamin C)
6. Cardiac insufficiency with or without hypertension; intractable angina
7. Acute or chronic viral infections
8. Multiple food allergy/intolerance, with or without proven deficiency
9. Urticaria, acute and chronic
10. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
11. Migraine, other headaches
12. Macular degeneration
13. Muscle spasm/sprain
14. Rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative or "reactive" arthritis
16. Pre-operative/pre-radiation therapy
17. Severe illness of most any variety, such as AIDS and hepatitis
We also offer IV glutathoine (originally developed by Dr. David Perlmutter) for Parkinson's disease, other neurological disorders and acute chemical exposure. I have designed a new protocol that can significantly help patients with these conditions.
Copyright © 2005
Santa Fe Center for Allergy and Environmental Medicine